[Web4lib] Paperless society

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 14:44:39 EST 2008

Brewster is a visionary, but not only is his comment humorous, it's
downright scary.  The paradox of the digital age is we don't keep what we
should, and we lose what we shouldn't.  We are nowehere near solving the
digital preservation problem.  In many cases we don't know which digital
copy is "the" copy.

This is why most computer scientists and professionals favor voting systems
with paper trails.

If you've implemented a digital document management system with professional
tools and rigorous protocols -- say, for medical records, deeds, birth and
death certificates, etc. that's one thing.  If you're talking about
documents that whiz around the office, especially those that need
signatures, paper is of course still common.

Brewster has done amazing things with the Internet Archive but I think the
relative success of the Wayback Machine may have skewed his thinking a bit.

/rich