[Web4lib] Paperless society

Avrum Shepard ashepard at well.com
Mon Feb 11 12:24:03 EST 2008

This discussion of eliminating paper that we read and use for
historical purposes has given me a chuckle. I participated in the
formation of the National Automated Clearinghouse Association (NACHA)
in 1968. NACHA is the vehicle that banks use to distribute electronic
automated payments. 1968 was the year that my employer, then the
world's largest bank, decided that mankind was ready for the
"paperless society". The objective was to eliminate the use of paper
checks. After having spent close to seventy years convincing
consumers that they needed to put their money in a bank instead of
under the mattress, and write checks instead of give cash, we
initiated a project to eliminate paper from the equation. By the time
I retired in 1999, that bank was processing in the neighborhood of
ten million checks each day, many times the number thirty years
prior. Although it is not still the largest bank, it has grown
significantly and processes much more paper each night. I doubt that
we've seen the last of paper even with Amazon's Kindle, books on
tape, reliable offline data storage such as cd and dvd, the Internet,
and the National Automated Clearing House.