[Web4lib] Paperless society

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Feb 27 16:43:51 EST 2008

Sorry for being two weeks late, and many dollars short (due to
pneumonia), but....one basic point is being missed.

Kahle did NOT say that paper was gone....Reread the first line: "Paper
is no longer the master copy". Of COURSE IT ISN'T. It is one the phone
company computer. The phone book is simply an out of date spinoff.

Not much different from "back in the dark ages" of 40 years ago when
our automated circ system scanned punched cards from the book, sent
the data to campus mainframe, and every morning we picked up a PAPER
list of all that was checked out.

I've read a bushel of replies to this, but haven't seen this point
covered.

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID