[Web4lib] Mahalo Answers - The latest commercial virtual reference wrinkle

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 14:33:53 EST 2008

Steven Patamia asks:

"...would somebody PLEASE explain to me WHY any librarian would WANT to spend their time answering questions in this manner?   I can imagine some answers, but I'd really want to hear from librarians why they are either worried or enamored of this.  Maybe I am missing something important -- would not be the first time<g>!"

I wasn't suggesting that librarians should want to participate in Q&A services like Mahalo Answers, and I wasn't saying that librarians should necessarily be worried about or enamored of these services. I was just pointing out yet another commercial Q&A service attempting to fill a niche that I've long held that librarians were ideally suited for: online reference services.

Sure, libraries offer online reference services, but I don't think they've come close to reaching the potential that I and others saw back in the early days of online/virtual reference in the mid-to-late 1990s.

Many of the commercial Q&A services have fallen by the wayside. And others, like Yahoo! Answers, have become more like social software sites than straightforward Q&A services.

When Google Answers folded I found myself thinking that if a company like Google, with all its dollars, can't make a Q&A service work...maybe there isn't a real market for these services? Maybe people are "satisficed" enough by the information they can find on their own? And maybe that's why library online/virtual reference services never really met the expectations held by the early pioneers of online/virtual reference...maybe there's not a big enough demand?

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN