[Web4lib] Mahalo Answers - The latest commercial virtual reference wrinkle

Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D. patamia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:50:05 EST 2008

Hi Bernie,

   I think we agree that when Google Answers folded it was a bad sign
for the viability of the idea.  I recall that Google answers tended to
fetched a higher financial reward than Mahalo and what little I saw of
it reflected much more serious research efforts.  I am not quite sure
whether Google explained why it closed it up (a research project!) as
it probably didn't cost them much to host it.  I do think that Mahalo
has a poor chance of reaching self-perpetuation -- but I don't wish
them ill nor do I claim to see the future that precisely.

   What you and I are sensing is that there is something missing or
poorly conceived about the way answer systems like Mahalo and even
Yahoo work.  As a librarian, you are quite naturally intrigued by the
implications.  I am curious for slightly different reasons.

   In a perfect world, (as you view it of course<g>) what role should
librarians play in contributing to ad hoc information requests?

--
Steven E. Patamia, Ph.D., J.D.
Personal Cell: (352) 219-6592