[Web4lib] RE: sharpening images and OCR

Binkley, Peter Peter.Binkley at ualberta.ca
Thu Dec 4 12:59:47 EST 2008

Regarding Tesseract's limitations: you should also pay attention to
Ocropus, which provides the document layout analysis and so on, and uses
Tesseract as its ocr engine (though it's designed to allow other engines
to be plugged in). It's still in its early stages (version 0.3.1) but
shows a lot of promise.

http://code.google.com/p/ocropus/

As always, judge an open source project by its community. Ocropus shows
a lot of activity by several developers, so it looks pretty healthy:

http://code.google.com/p/ocropus/updates/list

That said, they've fallen behind their release plans:

http://sites.google.com/site/ocropus/roadmap

Peter