[Web4lib] prove that library 2.0 isn´t useless

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sun Nov 4 10:13:05 EST 2007

If anyone wants to look at similar stats from the US, the state
libraries gather that data. Here's the link for the stats page from
California:
    http://www.library.ca.gov/lds/librarystats.html
Unfortunately, it isn't comparative against earlier years, but you can
download the excel files and do that yourself. Included in these stats
are changes in population served -- that is, gains and losses of
population in the community itself.

What I was looking at these stats a few years ago for a project, it
seemed to me that in many cases use of the library was going up, not
down, and the easier it was to check out books the more books were
checked out (we were studying RFID and self-check). Reference was going
down, however. (I happened to think that reference at a reference desk
in one place in the library is a dead strategy. Reference has to take
place where the users are -- in the stacks. Ditto with catalog use --
who wants to walk 50 yards or meters back to a terminal station to
consult the catalog?)

The only way to convince people that something new works in the library
is to prove it. This means that we all should be gathering stats before
and after so we can actually measure the effect of changes. You wouldn't
be able to take someone else's stats and translate them directly to your
own community, but it would give you support for pursuing changes in
your own community.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net