[Web4lib] U.Va. Library website design review

David Kemper siansleep at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:49:49 EDT 2007

My first 10 second gut reaction to the website:

1. Looks very nice. Feeling the blue gradient header. Sets the stage
nicely. Nice clean content area, too.

2. Search field gradient, not too sure about that one, stick with plain white.

3. Top right part of the header "Check My Account, Renew Items, etc"
Do some chunking here, that is, I think you can form 2 sets of links
here. User function links "Check My Account, Renew Items" and "About
the Library" links, which could fit nicely above the main navigation
bar.

4. Content area is clean, well-spaced, good use of white space. Can
you make some of the content header section pop a little more, stand
out a bit more? I wonder if changing the link color to blue would help
or the headers to a navy blue.

5. "Feeds" link great. "More Feeds" link. Uhmm? If you have a limited
number of feeds, perhaps just list them on the front page. However, if
you foresee more feeds from more departments then I see where this
could save space and encourage users to dig in.

Anyway, overall, very nice job!

David
Archivist, Web Services
IMF Archives