[Web4lib] Successful book discussion blogs, anyone?

Casey Bisson cbisson at plymouth.edu
Thu Jul 12 15:54:41 EDT 2007

I can offer two examples, though neither is specifically a book
discussion site.

Tamworth Public Library, serving a community of about 2500 people in
central New Hampshire, gets a lot of activity on their website,
including comments.

Here's a good example:
http://tamworthlibrary.org/read/60505#comment-52

A list of recent comments appears on the front page of their site:
http://tamworthlibrary.org/

Also worth noting is Beyond Brown Paper, an online photo archive from
a mill town in northern New Hampshire.

http://beyondbrownpaper.plymouth.edu/browse/

The site boasts a few hundred comments on the collection of more than
6000 online photos (scanning is ongoing). My favorite batch of
comments appears on this photo:

http://beyondbrownpaper.plymouth.edu/item/673

Both sites were launched this past December/January and serve
communities where the demographics defy our expectations of computer
use, yet each has gained considerable interest and use from its
target audience.

Casey Bisson

Information Architect
Plymouth State University