[Web4lib] Successful book discussion blogs, anyone?

Abramson, Alicia AAbramson at ci.berkeley.ca.us
Thu Jul 12 15:42:21 EDT 2007

It is possible that a forum would be a more powerful tool, but what I'm
really getting at is the use of blogs for book discussions in
particular, since that would seem a natural way for libraries to
interact with their reading public.  As countless examples on the Web
show, blog writing can and does attract a fair amount of conversation in
the form of comments about postings, from communities interested in the
author and/or subject matter of the blog.

However, in the brief research I've done, visiting public library book
blogs listed at the "Blogging Libraries Wiki"
(http://www.blogwithoutalibrary.net/links/index.php?title=Public_librari
es) I haven't seen any examples yet of book related blogs that seem to
be generating much interaction from the public.

I guess a larger question is about library use of social technologies
and/or Web 2.0 technologies and whether they are living up to the hype
as far as user engagement and "connection" are concerned.  I say this
with the understanding that blogs emerged before the concepts of either
"social networking" or "Web 2.0" were fully formed or embraced by the
library community, but all the same are a newer way of achieving a back
and forth than the static Web.

Alicia

Alicia Abramson

Manager Library Information Technology