[Web4lib] Code4lib 2008 Minority Scholarship

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Dec 19 15:44:52 EST 2007

> Several of my (male) colleagues have said that C4L is the best technical
> conference in libraryland. I had thought about submitting a proposal to
> C4L, and I decided not to this year, because I've never attended C4L and I
> wasn't sure that it was the sort of conference that I'd want to be
> associated with (though, frankly, I was thinking about this in terms of
> scholarship rather than harassment). As of two days ago, I'd have said
> that I was definitely planning to attend. Now, though, I'm not too sure.
> And that's a shame.

Danielle, you should attend. Seriously. Most (maybe all) of the voices you
are hearing on w4l are NOT associated with C4L. I thought it was a very
welcoming and high-quality, technically-focused, low-b.s. conference and
know several women who attended gave it a strong w00t. They need more women
and they know that, and they're actually trying to DO something about that
as well.

Heck, apply for the scholarship $ as well.

Also no apology needed, we can't be there for every battle... some of us
have work to do, systems to run, code to debug, vendors to call...

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at freerangelibrarian.com