[Web4lib] WIKIPEDIA is now politically correct

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sun Dec 9 14:41:58 EST 2007

> The "political correctness" phrase was a subtle statement
> by the writer that compared the rise of Wikipedia and its
> compilation by the "unwashed" educated masses, with
> the rise of the American democratic process; the creation
> of the Constitution of the United States, wherein a society
> was ordered by former "unwashed" people, who had the
> audacity to believe that the common man could self-govern.
> UNWASHED: ignorant, plebeian

I agree with the premise of the article; I was merely making the (very
small) point that the phrase "politically correct" seemed a tad awry. As
Mark Twain said, "The difference between the almost right word & the right
word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug
and the lightning."

K.G. Schneider
kgs at freerangelibrarian.com