[Web4lib] E-LIS Introduces Usage Statistics for Authors

Imma Subirats imma.subirats at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 04:23:37 EDT 2006

Dear all,

* Apologies for cross-posting *

We are glad to announce that has been implemented a new Statistics module in
E-LIS, E-prints in Library and Information Science. The purpose of the
statistics is to promote E-LIS repository and authors self-archiving as
well, by demonstrating the accessibility and usage of deposited documents by
access and downloads .

Usage statistics (abstracts, downloads) are now available by the following
elements:

• Most viewed eprints in the last four weeks
• Most viewed eprints in this year
• Most viewed eprints in the last year
• Most viewed eprints in all years
• Repository-wide statistics by year/month
• Repository-wide statistics by country

You can see the implementation of the Statistics at http://eprints.rclis.org/.
<http://eprints.rclis.org/.+>The use of statistics is basic for the
development of Open Acess Model and for the achievement of our first
objective: to promote self-archiving among researchers.

Some examples of statistics results are the following:

• Prosser, David C. ( 2003) Scholarly communication in the 21st century :
the impact of new technologies and models. *Serials : the journal for the
serials community *16(2):pp.
163-167<http://eprints.rclis.org/es/index.php?action=show_detail_eprint&id=1180>.

• Suber, Peter<http://eprints.rclis.org/es/index.php?action=show_detail_eprint&id=6671>
(2006)
*Open Access in the United States*, in Jacobs, Neil, Eds. *Open Access : Key
strategic, technical and economic aspects*. Chandos Publishing
<http://eprints.rclis.org/es/index.php?action=show_detail_eprint&id=6671>.
• Estivill Rius, Assumpció and Abadal Falgueras, Ernest and Franganillo,
Jorge and Gascón García, Jesús and Rodríguez i Gairín, Josep Manuel (2005)
Uso de metadatos Dublin Core en la descripción y recuperación de artículos
de revista digitales = Use of Dublin Core metadata for describing and
retrieving digital journals . In *Proceedings DC-2005 International
Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications*, Madrid (Spain).
<http://eprints.rclis.org/es/index.php?action=show_detail_eprint&id=4792>•
Parmar,
Arvind Singh and Kumar, Sanghmitra A. and Prakash, Thushara (2004)
Bibliometric analysis of information seeking behaviour related literature
<http://eprints.rclis.org/es/index.php?action=show_detail_eprint&id=2332>

We encourage other repositories to implement statistics for each archived
document. E-LIS uses EPrints Software module, but also DSpace has developed
an Add-On for Statistics.

Some comments to the use of the statistics in E-LIS are the following:

"All authors crave impact - we hope that what we write will affect readers
and will make a difference.  However, often it is difficult to tell if our
work has even been read.  Now we have a clue.  The newly implemented
download statistics in E-LIS tell me fascinating stories about the usage of
my work - papers that I thought 'old news' are still being downloaded, the
geographical distribution of readers is greater than I would have
guessed.  This is a wonderful tool for both authors and readers and shows,
once again, the power of self-archiving.  Now all I need to know is what the
readers thought of my work!"
David Prosser
SPARC Europe

"Having statistics for each article posted in E-LIS can be a  valuable tool
for the study of the development of the intellectual  production in
librarianship and information science.  This and the  use of bibliometric
techniques would help us assess library  development around the world…"
Julio Santillan Aldana
Responsible of the open access journal Biblios
E-LIS Editor for Peru

"The Eprint Statistics feature is an impressive new addition to E-LIS.  It
presents clear and immediate data on use of documents in the repository,
something every author wants to see.  I've found myself checking the
statistics on my documents regularly and have also discovered that it's a
very effective recruitment feature for E-LIS; colleagues who have never
deposited in E-LIS have done so very soon  after seeing the Eprints
Statistics function in action".
Andrew Waller
Author and E-LIS Editor for Canada

For any information about the implementation do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

E-LIS Team
<http://eprints.rclis.org/staff.html>