[Web4lib] Where to invest in music collection.

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 23:25:38 EDT 2006

As a current LIS student with an inclination towards music libraries,
I've been following this thread closely.

I would wonder if the basic premise of the original collection is
valid.  ARE CD's in their 'autumn years' as a format?

CDs still hold a number of advantages over online resources:
	- They can be played on any device without DRM worries (ever try
playing something from Naxos on an iPod? Or something from the iTunes
Music Store on a Samsung player?)
	- They can quickly and easily be converted to newer formats.  LP's
must be done in realtime, but a CD can be ripped in a fraction of the
time it takes to listen to it.  You can put your entire collection
online in a digital medium, if you so choose. (check out the
Variations project at Indiana University)
	- They will be supported for the foreseeable future.
	- They won't go away if your library decides to cut the budget.
They're yours once they're bought.

All this is to say that, yes, while things are moving towards online
distribution, there are still a LOT of kinks to be worked out in this
arena.  Given the choice between an older but stable medium, and one
that could become obsolete next year with some new advancement in
distribution / technology leaving me with nothing to show for the
thousands of dollars I paid for the subscription, I would choose the
former.

That said, there are still a number of advantages to having an online
subscription.  If I were in your music library, I would start buying
CDs as the core of my collection (things like the complete works of
famous composers, monuments of music, etc.) and use the online
subscriptions to help fill in the gaps.  The best music libraries
I've seen have been hybrids.

Cheers,

Andrew