[Web4lib] Where to invest in music collection.

Avrum Shepard avrum_shepard at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 17:12:58 EDT 2006

It's really more complicated than that. You have to
first clean the surface of the lp's, a fairly long and
involved process. Do you have a record cleaning
machine? They cost between $500 and $2,000. Then
there's the drying time. And you have to be careful
not to scratch the orginals. Then you record. Do you
have the equipment to take the analog signal and make
it digital? You spend a few minutes for each lp to
actually do the capture. Then you usually have to
clean up the sound with some kind of audio processor
on a computer. Those little scratches, pops, and
clicks were ok on the lp's but really irritating on a
cd. Then you separate the tracks for the cd. This is
not done for you by the record process. Then you
record your cleaned up separated audio tracks to cd.
I've done a little bit of this and there's not much
help in how to do it. I would record only the
out-of-print and worthwhile lps and get cd's for the
rest that you want to replace. You might consider
hiring a high school or college student to do this and
pay a flat rate. You need to plan what to do with the
lp's once your done. Sell them on eBay? First find out
what they're worth. Some out-of-print lp's are worth a
lot of money, but most are not worth much.

Avrum