[Web4lib] U3 Thumb Drives

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Fri Nov 17 10:45:15 EST 2006

> U3 requires that their "Launch pad" be installed before files etc
> can be pulled over to the host computer desktop.

I don't think that is the case.  I think the U3 Launchpad runs from USB
drive itself, as does all the software installed on it; I don't believe
anything has to be installed on the PC itself (apart from the normal USB
stuff that allows any drive to work of course).

I just plugged my U3 device into our public OPAC and had no problems using
it.  These machines are locked down in some way such that software cannot be
installed on them.

Depending on your environment, and how tightly you have the machine locked
down, the Launchpad software may not start or be visible in the system tray,
but from what I've read on the U3 site, the drive should still work.  Have a
look at the U3 website, specifically:

   http://www.u3.com/support/faq.aspx#General18

Not a lot of helpful info there, but some.

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Information Technology Services Division,     http://gollum.usask.ca/
  University of Saskatchewan Library