[Web4lib] U3 Thumb Drives

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Fri Nov 17 10:48:42 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Courtney Stephens wrote:

> I have a U3 flash drive and have had no trouble using it like any other
> flash drive.  I have not installed the Launch Pad software on my work
> computer and it still lets me open the drive and drag and drop things into
> the Document folder on the flash drive.

That is correct. A U3 device actually installs (if it is allowed to) as
two disk drives. One is a standard USB-type drive. The other is managed by
the LaunchPad software. Files on the standard drive are accessible just as
though they were on a non-U3 device.

It's an interesting question, though, whether various lockdown
policies/restrictions would or should prevent programs from running in U3
mode.