[Web4lib] Lack of discussion of Google CSE and Libraries

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 9 11:30:41 EST 2006

Drew, Bill wrote:
> You are missing one major point.  It does not take a programmer to do
> anything with it.  The Google API and other APIs really require
> programming skills.
I don't think that Ross was suggesting that  an API for Google CSE would
be  a replacement for a user interface that non-programmers can use.
The existence of an API would be a benefit to those with programming
skills without impacting those without them, unless one has an aversion
to letting programmers develop library applications.

> To me it is the biggest thing since sliced bread
> because it goes back to one of our basic functions as librarians,
> collection development and selection of resources.
You're missing a basic point as well.  Not everyone reading this list is
a librarian.