[Web4lib] Lack of discussion of Google CSE and Libraries

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Nov 9 10:30:10 EST 2006

> <http://christinaslibraryrant.blogspot.com/2006/10/google-custom-search.
> html> .  I am disappointed that ALA Tech Source nor any of the people at
> Library Journal have not reported on it.  I can also think of several
> other bloggers that should be covering this but are not.

ALA TechSource could certainly cover it-I was thinking about it. Though not
as a momentous joy of joys, but more along the lines Ross and Carol were
discussing, with perhaps some additional musings about Google using library
volunteers to beef up its health entries. It wasn't out yet, but I wish I
could have addressed this in "It's Too Darn Hot":

http://www.techsource.ala.org/blog/2006/07/its-too-darn-hot-a-curmudgeons-as
ides.html

It would have fit that article well, whereas now I run the risk of warming
over an old topic.

You are always welcome to write any of the TechSource authors to ask them
why they aren't writing about a topic. We welcome suggestions, and we're
happy to explain our processes.

In fact, yesterday in my professional think tank, while I was conditioning
my hair, it occurred to me that this is a good time to do a column called
Wishlist for Santa. APIs from Google might be right up there (with sly
cracks about "don't be evil" and lumps of coal, etc.). So you're right,
Bill-thanks for the idea!

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com