[Web4lib] Lack of discussion of Google CSE and Libraries

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Thu Nov 9 11:07:06 EST 2006

The idea is to go where the users are.  Library without walls.

Bill Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Ross Singer
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:42 AM
To: David Rothman
Cc: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Lack of discussion of Google CSE and Libraries

David,

In fact that's /not/ placed on your website, that's merely a search
box that is.  LISZEN's search works the exact same way -- it's just
being placed in an iframe in their page.

The question then becomes, how do you build on this?  What's the point
of this?  Is it so very much better than doing a regular Google
search?

Are your users even going to bother with coming to you since you're
obviously just giving them Google results?

-Ross.

On 11/9/06, David Rothman <david.rothman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Carol-
>
> While I think they rank significantly below sliced bread, CSEs CAN be
placed
> on one's own web site.  Look at LISZEN.com as an example, or the one I
> embedded in my blog at

http://davidrothman.net/consumer-health-and-patient-education-informatio
n-search-engine/
> .
>
> LISZEN's results even display under the LISZEN banner, and this isn't
hard
> to set up.
>
> -David
>

> On 11/9/06, Carol Bean <beanworks at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm with Ross on this.  What you say is true, but only from within
> > Google.  Is there a way to take this tool and put it on our library
> > website, or do we have to set up our CSE's on Google, and go there
> > (or send patrons there) to use the tool?
> >
> > Cool tool, but better than sliced bread?
> >
> > Carol Bean
> >
> > On Nov 9, 2006, at 9:55 AM, Drew, Bill wrote:
> >
> > > You are missing one major point.  It does not take a programmer to
do
> > > anything with it.  The Google API and other APIs really require
> > > programming skills.  To me it is the biggest thing since sliced
bread
> > > because it goes back to one of our basic functions as librarians,
> > > collection development and selection of resources.  I wish it did
go
> > > further in going into the Invisible Web that is buried in our
> > > databases.
> > > I t could potentially serve as our federated search engine if it
did.
> > > The front line librarian who knows how to do searches and
understands
> > > Boolean logic can use the CSE to create great tools for our users.
> > > think that is meaningful and significant!
> > >
> > > Bill Drew
> > > drewwe at morrisville.edu
Libraries