[Web4lib] Lack of discussion of Google CSE and Libraries

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Thu Nov 9 13:35:20 EST 2006

Ross Singer wrote:
> ...   What's the point
> of this?  Is it so very much better than doing a regular Google
> search?
>
> Are your users even going to bother with coming to you since you're
> obviously just giving them Google results?

I can think of several points actually, and yes, and yes. In fact, the
more I think about it the more I see librarian use of CSEs as a
win-win-win for users, librarians, and Google.

Librarians are by nature and profession collectors and selectors of
quality information sources, and what modern librarian doesn't have a
bookmark file of 1MB or more?

Users and Google both benefit by taking advantage of ranking. Users get
the benefit of quality site selection and more precisely targeted
results, and Google benefits by incorporating CSEs in its ranking
algorithms, i.e., professional librarians "ranking" sites for free for
Google.

David Roth's excellent health-related CSE is a prime example.

Chris Murphy

--
Christopher Murphy
Information Systems Manager