[Web4lib] RE: RSS FEEDERS/aggregators

Hawkings, Alicia Alicia.Hawkings at encana.com
Fri Mar 31 12:20:25 EST 2006

Hi Jennifer,
I'd have to agree with Jason, I really like Newsgator. FeedDemon,
another reader I have used and really liked, was recently purchased by
NewsGator. It's one you download onto your desktop.

I learned about NewsGator through one of our vendors, Factiva. If you
have an account with them, the results from any of your search folders
can be turned into an RSS feed, which you can access through Newsgator,
even the free account.

I have heard of many different ideas about using RSS feeds in a library
setting. As I mentioned above, any subjects you might be tracking in the
news/trade publications could become a feed you provide for your
clients. If you have a web site with subject specific areas you might be
able to incorporate feeds related to that on the page. One thing I've
wondered about adding is a feed to alert people of new books in our
library.

Jennifer, I will look through what I've gathered on RSS use in libraries
and forward it to you off list if you like.

Alicia Hawkings
EnCana Services Ltd.
Information & Records Centre
Phone: (403) 645-3085