[Web4lib] Libraries that support user tagging in OPAC?

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 10 09:45:07 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Drew, Bill wrote:

> There is one problem with tagging in OPACs.  What happens when you
> change the URL of the catalog?

Why would this have anything to do with the tagging?  Did I miss
something?  I suppose some people might use a proxy-type system based off
of the PURL, but that's certainly only one way to do it.  If you're
mashing two systems together I'd probably go with bibliographic id or
possibly ISBN.

Second, one of the great advantages of PURLs is to have system-independent
urls.  You should have a mapping of the purls to your actual resource.

Ie old system

foo.com/beerrecipe.html actually points to foo.com/12341234jja14.html

in the new system
foo.com/beerrecipe.html would point to foo.com/plbeerr.html

in either case the user would have the same url.

I don't see what any of that has to do with tagging.  Here's a scenario I
use on occasion to demonstrate how I envision tagging working in
libraries.  The book "Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools" by Aho
et al is more commonly known as the "Dragon Book" for those of us who have
a computer science background.  "Design Patterns" is known as the "Gang of
Four Book" or the abbreviation GoF.  These are terms that are not likely
to be added by a cataloger, but a student might want to find out what they
are.  If another patron has tagged the books "Dragon Book" and "Gang of
Four" respectively, it increases the odds that someone searching for
something like "compilers dragon book" will get the right answer and not a
fantasy book.

Jon Gorman