[Web4lib] LDAP Digital Library

Jim McGregor Jim.McGregor at waiariki.ac.nz
Wed Jul 26 19:50:34 EDT 2006

Hi
We are looking to establish a digital library, or document management
system, but with rather more fine-grained access control than most seem
to offer.
We work with LDAP authentication so we would like to give users access
to the documents that they have ldap permissions for. Ideally, any
searching they do is against that subset (or is that heavy-duty rocket
science?). Flexible access control is a mission-critical aspect for this
project.
I'm not sure that DSpace or Fedora can handle all of this by default.

As well, we want:
Version management where browsing & searching is by default on current
version, but ancestors are available on demand.
Good searchability, ideally with an engine that supports enhancements
such as truncation, boolean, etc.
Metadata management (well, they all do that by definition, don't
they?)
Cost: $0 haha. But maybe we need to expect to pay something? Does
something like ProQuest Digital Commons offer this?

Is there a solution out there that could be readily implemented?
Thanks
jim

Jim McGregor
Information Directorate