[Web4lib] LDAP Digital Library

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Wed Jul 26 22:01:34 EDT 2006

Hi all

Im replying on behalf of Walter who is fighting with some greylisting issues
to become subscribed to the list.
His response is below.

Chris

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:50:34AM +1200, Jim McGregor said:
> Hi
> We are looking to establish a digital library, or document management
> system, but with rather more fine-grained access control than most seem
> to offer.
[snip]

> Is there a solution out there that could be readily implemented?
> Thanks
> jim

Hi Jim,

I'm in the beginning stages of a project that is going to be a
digital library geared toward gathering artifacts of community
history and digitizing them.  One of the goals of this project is to
create or use an open source tool that can be distributed to other
history oriented organizations.  Another of it's requirements is to
have fine-grained permissions on content.  It sounds like we have
some similarities.

I've used OpenACS (openacs.org) to create digital libraries in the
past.  We may use it for this project, too.  I suggest you check it
out.  It has built in LDAP authentication and a versioned content
repository.  It doesn't, however, have a pre-built library system,
but does have numerous packages that may be useful.

Depending on your timeframe and goals, we might want to collaborate
on a general solution that works for us and can be given back to the
community.

Cheers,
Walter McGinnis

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz