[Web4lib] FW: [DIG_REF] IM & Security

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at uic.edu
Mon Jan 30 15:59:59 EST 2006

On Jan 30, 2006, at 2:23 PM, K.G. Schneider wrote:

> (Forwarded with Andrea's consent. I'll forward back a summary to
> DIGREF. --
> K.G. Schneider)

I am curious how the word security is used here. Is Andrea's library
planning to host the server Jabber etc.,? In this case then the
concern is warranted *IF* and only if they do not have a good system
administrator.  If not then I am really confused. Is the concern that
the use of IM might compromise their network. How is that different
from any software (including web based chat) that is not kept
current? Are they allowed to install any other software on these
computers? Is this how the word "security" is used?

Or do we *also* mean the integrity of logs generated by Trillian or
<insert preferred chat client>?

regards,
Francis
Francis Kayiwa