[Web4lib] FW: [DIG_REF] IM & Security

Michael McEvoy mmcevoy at northvillelibrary.org
Mon Jan 30 16:08:41 EST 2006

IM's are increasingly open to IM virii...

However, as a long time IM user, I've never picked up virii this way,
using multiple IM's. Most of the virii and worm exploits attack specific
versions of MSN Messenger, AIM, or other actual clients.

Using something like Trillian is SAFER than using anything directly
provided by MSN Messenger.

You can also look at GAIM (which will do MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, Jabber,
Google, IRC at the same time). http://gaim.sourceforge.net

While the worry is valid, most of the virus/worm exploits for IM are not
"instant infect" malware. They're mostly trojans, relying on user
inexperience/gullibility to click and launch the payload. That's nothing
simple awareness can't defeat.