[Web4lib] University of California's 100 Libraries JoinGoogle Book-Scanning Project

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Aug 9 12:33:17 EDT 2006

> This is why the UC libraries are so pleased to partner in our digitization
> efforts with the Google Library Program and the members of the Open
> Content
> Alliance, all of whom share our compelling vision of access to the public
> domain."
>
> >From a document soon to be posted to the CDL web site. Working with one
> partner does not preclude working with another.
> Roy

Sure, I agree with all that on principle... information wants to be
replicated... etc. I'm just wondering what it means about the Open Content
Alliance; is it really gaining any traction, or is this a sign that it's not
really going anywhere.

I'm not trying to tread on any toes, but for UC to participate in the Google
Project, when OCA was "conceived" (as Wikipedia puts it) as a response to
Google's closed, secretive nature, makes one wonder, one does, whether OCA
is just another noble gesture that shall die, along with the principles it
represents.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com