[Web4lib] University of California's 100 Libraries JoinGoogle Book-Scanning Project

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 9 13:12:16 EDT 2006

Karen,

Keep in mind that OCA only launched as a formal production effort
last October, and the delivery service hasn't even launched yet. Give
OCA a little more time before wondering if it's dying, please. ;-)

At the kickoff meeting last October Brewster was very supportive of
the participating institutions working with  whatever partners needed
to get our collections digitized.  He did not brand the project as
one that's in opposition to Google except in its strategy for
participants to opt-in rather than opting out in terms of the
inclusion of copyright works.

My principle concern about UC's participation in Google is that some
of the UC public domain materials will be found through OCA only and
some will be found through Google only.  Figuring out what's where as
a user could get complicated.  It would be nice to see the content
included in both services, providing multiple ways to discover and
view the books.

Leslie