[Web4lib] University of California's 100 Libraries Join Google Book-Scanning Project

Roy Tennant Roy.Tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Aug 9 12:18:14 EDT 2006

On 8/9/06 9:03 AM, "K.G. Schneider" <kgs at bluehighways.com> wrote:

> To me the first question this raises is what this says about the Open
> Content Alliance. Thoughts?

"The UC libraries have worked for many years to harness technology and their
vast library collections in the service of a broader mission ­ support for
scholarly innovation, learning, patient care, and cultural engagement.

The libraries¹ digitization efforts support work in a number of interrelated
areas, including digital preservation, resource discovery, scholarly
publishing, and digital collection development. These efforts, undertaken
with a range of highly valued partners, also support the aim of providing
free and unfettered access to public domain works, and to exploring the
exciting range of innovative information services that can be built upon
them in the service of the libraries¹ numerous user communities.

This is why the UC libraries are so pleased to partner in our digitization
efforts with the Google Library Program and the members of the Open Content
Alliance, all of whom share our compelling vision of access to the public
domain."

>From a document soon to be posted to the CDL web site. Working with one
partner does not preclude working with another.
Roy