[Web4lib] Federated search products and Full Text/PeerReview limiting

Dale Askey daskey at ksu.edu
Fri Apr 21 12:05:16 EDT 2006

People certainly had fun with my suggestion to slap a link resolver
button on federated search results. A couple of comments:

1 - Hey, in many instances, it would be an improvement over offering
nothing. I agree with everyone's criticisms, particularly Ross's
arguments about blind alleys, but one has to start somewhere.

2 - Unless talented library programmers/developers such as Ross and
David Walker can clone themselves, or unless we're all suddenly blessed
with the development capacities of the CDL, the more exotic features
you're describing need to be a whole lot easier to implement (say,
integrated into the vendor's product, ideally). There's a reason why the
rest of us salivate when we see Cal State San Marco's SFX installation,
but it's not something that libraries of all sizes can just do without a
lot of assistance.

To that end, I would ask who out there has documented their extensions
and modifications to a link resolver to do some of the things described
in this thread. If we're going to declare a service standard, we need to
share the love, don't we?

Dale