[Web4lib] Federated search products and Full Text/PeerReview limiting

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 21 17:44:14 EDT 2006

On 4/21/06, Dale Askey <daskey at ksu.edu> wrote:
> 2 - Unless talented library programmers/developers such as Ross and
> David Walker can clone themselves,

I think I can speak for David as well as myself when I say "be careful
what you wish for".

> or unless we're all suddenly blessed
> with the development capacities of the CDL, the more exotic features
> you're describing need to be a whole lot easier to implement (say,
> integrated into the vendor's product, ideally). There's a reason why the
> rest of us salivate when we see Cal State San Marco's SFX installation,
> but it's not something that libraries of all sizes can just do without a
> lot of assistance.

I cannot agree with this more.  This is a /huge/ problem with our
current slate of software options.

> To that end, I would ask who out there has documented their extensions
> and modifications to a link resolver to do some of the things described
> in this thread. If we're going to declare a service standard, we need to
> share the love, don't we?

This is a good point, and, Dale, I'd be willing to work with you on
such an endeavor.  In fact, in a presentation I'm going to give in 40
minutes, I'll mention how I've been horribly remiss at contributing
/any/ documentation for what I'm talking about (despite complaining
about the lack of documentation available).

Is this something appropriate for the Library Success Wiki (or whatever it is)?

Also, in regards to link resolvers in general...  I would like to
suggest that we build a microformat for the link resolver results
menu.  Not everyone has a link resolver that outputs XML, but with a
microformat, that wouldn't be necessary and it would allow people to
include the output of their resolver menu in other places.

-Ross.
ps. due to flaky internet connectivity, that presentation was actually
about 2 hours ago.  And, yeah, I mentioned just this.