[Web4lib] Federated search products and Full Text/PeerReview limiting

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Tue Apr 18 19:02:17 EDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 2:27 PM, Karen Harker wrote:

> My conclusion then is, if we can let the user know the exact status
> of obtaining each citation at the exact point of need, their
> experience with the Library would improve.

Bingo.

> Which leads me to what I was originally going to ask Roy:  more
> details (about their project), please....

What we are attempting to do is to use the ability of SFX to accept
multiple OpenURLs in one resolving request to do a lookup before
sending search results to the user interface. Since we haven't been
able to get this to work yet, we are presently trying a work-around
in which we send multiple requests. This is of course not optimal,
but until we get a fix it will have to do. Luckily, our initial load
should be relatively slight to begin with. I do not have anything
publicly available to show yet, although we are getting close to an
early alpha prototype.
Roy