[Web4lib] setting up new web server problems

Lynne Puckett lpuckett at billings.lib.mt.us
Tue Sep 13 16:31:23 EDT 2005

Hi,
I sent these replies to these kindly helpful persons but forgot to send
them to the list so everybody could see, so here they are:

William A. Forgette wrote:
 > Also check your NTFS permissions on the document AND folder that your
 >file  is in. And make sure the proper document type is added for
 >default pages. By default, IIS looks for something like default.asp
and >will even skip an index.htm unless you tell it otherwise.

My answer:
Permissions are read & execute for all folders, subfolders & files for
"Everyone" and the default Internet guest account. I have anonymous
access enabled. Default.htm is the main page for our site, and it's #1
on the default page list. I don't have anything more than static html at
the moment, so ASP isn't even installed, let alone turned on. If I can
get the plain stuff working then I can start thinking about fancy stuff.

William A. Forgette wrote:
 > Just a little bit more info please:
 > Did you make your own page? Or are you attempting to access the
 >default web page that is ready out of the box?

  My answer:
We have our own page. It's set up in the default web page spot on IIS in
the default directory.

Andrew Mutch wrote:
> Lynne,
>
> Can you get it to display the default web page that shows that you are at
> least seeing the web server?
>
> Andrew Mutch

My answer:
No, alas.

I do love this list. Everyone responds so promptly! Thanks, and keep 'em
coming!
Lynne

--
L. E. Puckett
Reference & Electronic Systems Librarian