No subject

Wed May 18 15:10:58 EDT 2005

>From calumet at Mindspring.com  Mon Dec  4 09:47:00 2000
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 12:40:01 -0500
To: middlem at uhls.lib.ny.us,
        Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at webjunction.org>
From: Tara Calishain <calumet at Mindspring.com>
Subject: Avoiding virus attachments

At 09:20 AM 12/4/2000 -0800, Marcia S. Middleton wrote:
>Isn't it time to implement a mechanism for not accepting attached files
>to the list?  This is the second list I'm on that's been infected in the
>last week (two different viruses).  Antivirus software helps but a lot
>of chaos could be avoided simply by not physically allowing attacments
>to postings.

Marcia,

One thing I find that helps is setting my mail program to download only
messages of 10K or less. If a message is larger than that, I can either
retrieve it from the server or have the server delete it.

So with this past virus, I saw the first 3K of the message and knew what it
was, but was able to delete it from the server without downloading it to my
computer.

Best,

Tara