[Web4lib] Role of the OPAC (was: library automation vendors)

Thomas, Susan Elaine suethoma at iusb.edu
Wed Jul 27 16:04:39 EDT 2005

I think the OPAC still has the ability to serve as a portal to
information or serve as a public interface. For example, it no longer
has to show only the items that are physically owned.  It is possible to
catalog all information sources relevant to your patron group or setting
and have them accessible through the catalog.  It could be books,
journal articles, databases, images, government documents, or other web
sites.  Most online catalogs make it possible to include the URL in the
record for direct linking.  This is currently a very popular method of
making government documents available through OPACS, and a quick search
of Worldcat provides a great example of the potential for catalogs as an
information resource.

There are times when I need to verify that my library has access to a
particular resource such as whether or not we have a journal title
available electronically or a specific database.  A quick search of the
online catalog not only confirms what we have but also provides a direct
link to the needed resource.  Cataloging relevant websites instead of
attempting to organize them into yet another subject-specific web-based
resource linked from the library's webpage makes more searching sense.
I have illustrated such subject based web pages in instruction sessions
with little interest or enthusiasm shown from students.

The reason for the existing segregation of the online catalog from other
databases might have more to do with the evolution of electronic formats
from the print formats, i.e. indexes were separate from the card
catalog.  I think online catalogs have the potential to serve as an
electronic resource similar to google but with more focus. Is it
possible we are still trying to follow an older more established method
of organizing information to make it searchable or accessible, instead
of looking for ways to take full advantage of electronic resources like
OPACs to do something better and more useful?

Susan Thomas
suethoma at iusb.edu