[Web4lib] How to label the OPAC (was: Role of the OPAC)

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jul 26 10:15:40 EDT 2005

> > primary assumption going in. And how many potential users do we
> > lose--reasonably intelligent people who are making every effort to apply
> > what they know to our websites--because they look, they apply knowledge,
> > then they conclude we don't offer what we need? They aren't "dumb," and
> it's
> > not dumbing anything down to design the system around their task
> knowledge.
> >
> Well, wouldn't that argument hold for *every* Web service, not just for
> ours? What, then, is the core "task knowledge" we can safely assume
> every user to possess?

1. Yes, it would. 2. Give you three guesses and the third guess ends in
"oogle."

I'm not anti-catalog but I am pro-labels-people-understand, with the
understanding that they need to understand what they can get from said pot
of content, not merely what they think they can get from said pot of
content.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com