[Web4lib] How to label the OPAC

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:20:11 EDT 2005

And I'd add another question.

If your catalog allows you to set up separate search pages for various
formats, why would you not want to be able to send people right to those
rather than making them go to a catalog entry point and then move on to find
videos or sound recordings, check the reserve materials for their class,
etc?

The typical online catalog is not one tool, it's a collection of tools and
should be integrated with your other finding tools.

And to sort of try to answer Ross's questions, at a given time for a given
user in a given library one of those catalog tools may be very important.
For many scientific researchers and for more and more researchers in other
areas, searching for articles is the most important thing 99% of the time.
So metasearch for articles is probably at least as important as the catalog
in most academic and special libraries. In other specialized libraries
searching for images or corporate information or legal decisions may be the
single most important thing. It all depends on the library and its users,

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu