[Web4lib] How to label the OPAC

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Mon Jul 25 10:47:16 EDT 2005

Catalog has value as a name and after the first week or so of school (all
this in an academic context) so does the local catalog name and it's not
unreasonable to expect students to know those things. But the opac is only
one one of what may in a large library be 100's of finding tools. How you
refer to to the opac when you tell someone to walk over to that computer and
click on the icon for Library Catalog and and how you structure your Web
pages so that an undergraduate sitting in a dorm room at 2:00 AM or a remote
student sitting at work 100 miles from campus can get quickly to a piece of
information are two different things.

We are in the middle of a Web redesign and among our principal goals are to
make our pages more task oriented and to provide guidance for our users in
performing common tasks. To that end we will have a toolbar - tabs and
dropdown menus - across the top of all our pages - Web site, opac,
metasearch tool, whatever. We're still arguing about (err, discussing) exact
contents and wording. but at this point on all pages the first two tabs and
their dropdowns are

1. Find Books, etc. 		(links to opac basic search)
	Search Virgo Library Catalog 		(same thing)
	DVDs and Videos
	Audio recordings
	Manuscripts
	Browse by call number
	Multisearch (our metasearch tool)
	Library Web site search
Down to Multisearch each of these is a link to a specific search form in our
opac.

2. Find Articles, etc.   (a web page with links, descriptions and
multisearch checkboxes for  all our indexing/abstracting tools)
	Multisearch		(same thing)
	By discipline	(subject guides)
	By citation		(use Open URL resolver to find a known item)
	E-journals by title	(look up in resolver knowledgebase)
	E-journals A-Z		(browse from our resolver knolwedgebase)
	Reference sources 	(Web pages on various topics - the piece
that needs most work)

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Coordinator and Librarian for German
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu | Voice: 434-924-4985

Digital Access Services, University of Virginia Library
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/