[Web4lib] How to label the OPAC

bernhard Eversberg ev at buch.biblio.etc.tu-bs.de
Mon Jul 25 10:17:01 EDT 2005

Richard Wiggins wrote:
> Is there any audience, no matter how experienced, for whom "find books"
> *doesn't* work?
>  /rich

At least, since "books" doesn't cover it all, one would have to extend
it a bit and say "find stuff".
While I'd agree with this, I still feel the necessity to have a noun and
to use it in public.
Or how else can we refer to "it" when mentioning a catalog as a tool?
Also, while they may be in need of upgrading, catalogs are not really
obsolete. Good catalogs remain cornerstones of good library work. We are
doing nobody a service if we try to obscure their very existence and
their character either by cryptic neologisms (and a different one in
every other library) or by language that doesn't even put a name on them.

Regards,
Bernhard Eversberg
Universitätsbibliothek Braunschweig