[Web4lib] Hybrid libraries and LMS vendors

Dhanashree dhanashree.date at tatainfotech.com
Thu Jul 21 01:21:00 EDT 2005

>> (4) We can share our ideas and code with each other in open source
>> communities, allowing even technology-poor libraries to benefit from
>> those who have the ability to build these systems.
>
> Maybe.  Most of us have no choice as to what LMS or ILS we use though.

Interestingly, instead of competing with one another the four vendors
supporting Koha are collaborating together and sharing their development
resources to make the product better (with sponsorship from libraries).
_______

Libraires have invested energies in the development of digital libraries, skipping an intermediary step of hybrid library management. We have two mature ends- the established library systems, and time-tested digital libraries. Today, hybrid libraries are indulging in activities encompassing all four stages of a content management life-cycle...collect/create - organise - transact and re-use of content.
Developments focussing on an 'WCM integrated LMS', which allows content creation - to publishing-to delivery-to archive- reuse is what librarians and library vendors should invest energies in.
Towards this IMO, the merging of opensource library systems and opensource WCM to pick choose features can possibly facilitate development, and that too economically, by eliminating the hurdles of proprietary application.

Dhanashree Date
Tata Infotech Ltd.