[Web4lib] Role of the OPAC (was: library automation vendors)

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 21 10:30:07 EDT 2005

I think Jim Campbell and David Walker have raised an extremely good point.

In the context of the modern library (and this includes all types of
libraries), what /is/ the role of the OPAC?  What is its purpose?  Is
there a reason it is segregated from other electronic resources?

I'm very curious to hear from various corners of the profession on this
one because, honestly, I have having an extremely hard time figuring out
the utility of the catalog as a public interface.

Thanks,
-Ross.