[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at anaheim.net
Wed Jul 20 15:38:40 EDT 2005

Four years ago, Anaheim loaded the MARC records for 2,000 NetLibrary
e-books into our system.  We then advertised with posters and bookmarks
of our e-book collection.  We had 36 hits on our e-books over the
six-month trial period.  After that, the e-book records were removed
from our system and we opted out of the program.

My message to e-book vendors since then has been "until you have quick
reference titles to offer, we have nothing to talk about."

Of course, their response has been that Quick Reference titles are more
expensive to reproduce so that is why their offerings are limited there.
My response to that, not my problem.

Thomas Edelblute
Anaheim Public Library