[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Jul 20 16:02:20 EDT 2005

Yeah, the distribution is as much a problem as the readers. NetLibrary is
not a great model and noone has really found a good model that will allow
easy circulation from a library without panicing publishers. That said, we
kept our original NetLibrary package, though we haven't added much to it,
and have noticed steadily increasing use. The interesting thing is the range
of titles that get used, things in the humanities that you wouldn't expect.

But there are good reference services - notably Oxford's - and technical
books do well. Safari is very popular here and that's by no means just
academic titles.

Like I said, eventually.

- Jim Campbell
Campbell at Virginia.edu