[Web4lib] Next new thing?

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 15 23:50:41 EDT 2005

July 15, 2005

My suggestion is to pay attention to the literature, especially from the
folks I write for at Information Today (http://www.infotoday.com) who have
inside sources and get all kinds of PR buzz from the information industry.
Searcher magazine under Barbara Quint seems to have a pretty good track
record at covering trends that turn into information commodities. Wikis are
a decade-old technology this year, so hardly new in terms of age, yet newish
to information knowledgists. I concur with the respondent who put her
metaphoric money on collaborative tools. Wikis are just one kind of
collaborative Web-based system with an emphasis on ease of use and
simplicity.

I would also pay attention to the e-learning field as one of the next new
things because it's an area librarians should certainly be familiar with and
participating in.

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca