[Web4lib] Next new thing?

Elizabeth mckenty library.lisle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 19:27:04 EDT 2005

Everything old is ever new again. I have to point out it was F. W. Lancaster
who published "Toward Paperless Information
Systems<http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/309df173a2c90f17.html>
"--http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/ow/309df173a2c90f17.html-- in my
young adulthood (1978). Still, I am surrounded by paper at home and at work.
But I am not complaining, much.

Wearing my former indexer/abstracter/cataloguer hat, I concur that
folksonomies are not new. The LITA Top Tech Trends crew pretty much
dismissed them. See here <http://litablog.org/?cat=6>--
http://litablog.org/?cat=6-- for summaries. Recently reported problems with
tag spam will not help. Collaborative tools, including wikis, are where it
is at, IMHO.

Lisle McKenty