[Web4lib] RE: Another Google question

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Fri Jul 15 15:07:14 EDT 2005

Jeremy said:

"Providing useful feedback on this stuff is great, and I think that
largely that's the spirit Bernie's effort is towards, though sometimes
I'm not sure."

My motivation is curiosity...trying to find out why things don't seem to
work quite as they seem to be advertised when I stumble across them.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a typical Google searcher, e.g.,
there are times when I need to go beyond the 1,000 result limit, etc.
And Google is fairly prompt in answering my questions, and they seem to
be open to suggestion. For example, about the 1,000 result limit, part
of their answer was that if they returned all of the results to everyone
it would greatly impact performance and response time. That's
understandable. But I told them I didn't want it to be a default for
everyone and I asked them if there might be a way to allow those of us
crazy enough to want to go past the 1,000 limit to do it, say, 1,000
results at a time. They seemed interested.

Basically, I think that maybe they should do a little bit better job of
describing how various search options work (or don't work). For example
on the advanced search page the description of the "link:" command says
"Find pages that link to the page". Maybe it could be changed to "Find
examples of pages that link to the page". Or if someone actually gets to
the end of the line on a 1,000 result set there could be a message
saying to the effect that they only return 1,000 results because of
performance issues...something similar to the "In order to show you the
most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar..."
message.

Bernie