[Web4lib] Google limit of 1,000 results

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Jul 8 15:40:05 EDT 2005

Jeremy Dunck wrote:

>>The one I remember was when he said that Google wanted to (paraphrasing)
>>"present the printed works from the libraries, and at the same time
>>respect copyright." (Gales of laughter)
>

> I think Google Print is very much in line with the goal of libraries,
> so I'd be similarly puzzled about the laughter.  I'd like to hear why
> that's wrong.

To my ear, it was a knowing laugh.  Put so simply (and about 30 seconds
into his talk, IIRC), the statement tried to make it sound like a tiny
little problem, that doesn't have publishers sharpening their knives,
librarians pounding on the door demanding more details, and cynics of
all stripes asking questions about how this turns into money for Google.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu