[Web4lib] Google limit of 1,000 results

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:04:20 EDT 2005

On 7/8/05, Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote:
> K.G. Schneider wrote:
>
> >Part of the fun of the Google Print/Scholar program at ALA's annual conf was
> >the occasional hearty laughter from the audience over comments from the
> >Google guy, who would stop cold and look up with a puzzled expression. I'll
> >try to dig up an example or two from my notes.
> >

> The one I remember was when he said that Google wanted to (paraphrasing)
> "present the printed works from the libraries, and at the same time
> respect copyright." (Gales of laughter)

The library community recognizes that copyright, as provided by the
constitution, is a balance struck "to promote the arts and useful
sciences", right?  Put another way, the exclusivity granted should be
the least possible to accomplish this goal.

Who can argue that the 'net has allowed access on a materially grander scale?

I think Google Print is very much in line with the goal of libraries,
so I'd be similarly puzzled about the laughter.  I'd like to hear why
that's wrong.