[Web4lib] Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki

John Hubbard hubbardj at uwm.edu
Fri Jul 8 09:57:20 EDT 2005

Colleagues,

Well I think the notion of a "war" is a bit harsh.  I for one am not
looking to conquer anything (well, besides ignorance).

As Blake could certainly tell you, there are other library blogs out
there besides LISNews, made by librarians who wish to have their own
separate or specialized web presence. This makes for a richer landscape
and has a few other benefits.

To restate my earlier announcement and its about page, LISWiki was
established to provide an open and collaborative environment for library
fans to build a community repository of information about library terms,
issues, and practices.  For those that think it's as pointless, that's
fine.  But anyone interested in sharing information on their areas of
interest or expertise is welcome to contribute to or create entries.

LISWiki was launched with a bare-bones structure to give users --
especially those from a profession built around organizing information
-- maximum power to craft it.  I don't know what's going to happen with
it.  I'm not looking for sponsors or anything; it's an experiment that
I'm just having fun with.

I've been in touch with Meredith about LISWiki (since before
libsuccess.org was created) and understand that she wants to focus on a
more specialized Wiki on best practices.

My main concern at this point is avoiding crossovers that cause people
to feel like they have to do double editing or reading.  Time will tell
how these redundancies get handled, but again on the whole "war" idea, I
don't see the two sites so much competing as both exploring the sizable
potential of what librarians can do with Wikis.

Wikipedia is now one of the most visited sites on the Internet.  If you
missed the blog explosion of years past, this is your chance not to miss
the growth of Wikis.

Best,
John

--